Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Tasting Notes: Hangar 24 Gordgeous

Appearance: Pours a dark, opaque brown, with a thin, mocha colored head which disappears rather quickly, but does leave some decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma:  Smells like when you lick the knife (am I the only one that does this) after cutting the first slice of a pumpkin pie.  A hint of pumpkin, a lot of fall spices, and even a little bit of graham cracker which reminds me of the crust.  Also do get a whiff of the alcohol on this one, which comes in at 8.5% ABV.

Mouthfeel:  Surprisingly light on the palate for me.  Goes right down, with no viscosity.

Flavors:  The alcohol is the first thing I taste on this one, then it goes into some nice, roasty, coffee flavors very quickly.  I get a lot of the pumpkin pie flavors again in the finish, which lingers for some time.  It is more of the spices than the actual pumpkin.  I get a lot of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and clove, with just a hint of pumpkin.

Overall: I'm not normally a pumpkin beer fan, and I love this one.  The combination of the high alcohol and the porter base beer mean there's a lot of strong flavors going on in this beer even without the pumpkin.  The flavors are all strong, clean, and pleasant.  The alcohol hits hard at first, but doesn't burn or come with cloying sweetness.  The beer then moves cleanly into a classic, roasty, almost bitter coffee/porter flavor.  It finishes with a wonderful pumpkin pie, fall spiciness.  The flavors are different enough that none become overpowering, but because they seem to progress in order, they also never clash.  This is definitely one of my fall favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment