Thursday, December 5, 2013

Tasting Notes: New Glarus Strawberry Rhubarb

This is (I think) a relatively new brew from New Glarus.  I was interested to see how this take on a fruit beer went, as it actually features the same balance in its adjuncts that brewers seek through traditional experience.  Sweetness from malt, balanced with bitterness from hops.

Appearance:  Pours cloudy, somewhere between light brown, ruby, and dark brown depending on how the light is hitting the glass.

Aroma:  Pure strawberry jam.

Mouthfeel:  Fairly light, rolls right through the mouth, not overly carbonated.

Flavors:  Not as full flavored or as complex as I was expecting.  Pleasant, but mild strawberry notes, with an earthy, vegetal, bitterness of rhubarb at the end.  Finishes with a pleasant, jammy flavor, but not overly sweet.

Overall:  Not my favorite New Glarus beer.  Glad I also smuggled some Serendipity back to Cali with me.  While I don't think this would be anyone's favorite beer, would be great for varied company.  Wild fermentation and unfiltered, but not overly tart.  Fruity, but not overly sweet.  Unique ingredients and definitely a creative recipe, but still drinkable.  Definitely a well rounded, fruit forward beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment