Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tasting Notes: 2011 "It's a Headsnapper" Sauvignon Blanc

This is a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc that I'm not 100% sure how I came across.  It may have been a gift from a rep or distributor honestly, so without doing more research, I have no idea how much it costs or where it might be available.

Appearance: Pours a very light, very clear golden color, as expected from a sauv blanc.  No legs.

Aromas:  I get a little bit of tropical fruit, kiwi, melon, etc. but mostly acidity, in the form of grapefruit with a slight touch of lime.

Mouthfeel:  Incredibly light, rolls right off the tongue.

Flavors:  Bold.  Starts out very fruity, with kiwi, and melon, and finishes with a lot of acidity, both lime and tart green apple.  Don't get any of the grapefruit I got on the nose on the palate with this one.  Pretty crisp finish, although there's a slight lingering green apple flavor.

Overall:  My kind of sauvignon blanc.  Still light, crisp, and drinkable, but not shy with the flavors.  The contrast between the very soft but bold tropical fruit flavors at the front and the lime and green apple at the finish is great, and makes you want to take another sip to really appreciate both sets of flavor.  Definitely a wine I'll be trying to find in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment