Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Tasting Notes: 2011 Star Lane Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc

This wine is a Sauvignon Blanc out of the U.S.'s newest (unless I missed something) AVA, the Happy Canyon AVA in Santa Barbara County.

Appearance: Bright, bold, yellow, color.  No legs when swirled in glass.

Aroma: Very strong lemon and grapefruit.  Even when the bottle was opened, before pouring, it gives off a very fresh citrus smell. 

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth, a little bit of tart astringency leaves the mouth dried out at the end.

Flavor: Very, very, grapefruit forward.  Get a hint of tropical fruit in the middle of the palate, and the finish is back to graprefruit, and lingers for quite some time.  I can't really pick up much past the almost astringent grapefruit flavor.

Overall: I'm not a grapefruit fan, so Sauvignon Blancs are kind of hit or miss with me.  This wine has a pleasent aroma, beautiful color, and a very drinkable, refreshing body.  If I didn't have such a strong dislike of grapefruit, this seems like it would be a great, refreshing, drinkable white on a  hot summer day.  Probably not one that I will personally go out of my way to drink again, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment