Friday, July 12, 2013

Tasting Notes: Retsina Olympias

Before I begin this, let me give the disclaimer that this is my first taste of Retsina, so other than a vague, book-gained idea, I really have no clue what Retsina is "supposed" to taste like, and no point of comparison.  So while all tasting notes and reviews are objective, and really just my opinion, this one really is pulled straight from my posterior.  That said, here goes:

Appearance: Pours a bright yellow, completely translucent, and a little more yellow, less green or white, than any other wine I'm used to.

Aroma:  Pine, lemon, a little bit of honey.  The pine is not so much like a gin or Christmas tree pine, but more the smell of fresh cut pine wood, or of pine sap, a little more earthy than Christmasy.

Mouthfeel: Very light bodied, rolls right off the tongue and through the mouth.

Flavors: Very much like the smells, but with less lemon.  Definitely get the woody version of pine, and a little bit of sappy flavors.  I still get honey, but it's hard to describe, since it is not sweet at all.  The same flavors, and kind of tingling sensation, but light bodied and not sweet.  Flavors have a pretty clean finish, although there's some slight lingering pine and woodsy notes to it.

Overall:  Unique, new, and different would be the three words I could come up with.  Not really sure a) whether I like it, b) if I could learn to like it, or c) if it would go better with food than on its own.  I'm guessing the answers to b) and c) are yes.  Probably, like most wines, and most new food and drink experiences, it's an acquired taste.  And the dry but honey-like flavor, along with the woodiness, make me think that with a good Greek dish, this wine's flavors would really pop.  As of yet, I'm still undecided.

No comments:

Post a Comment