Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tasting Notes: Barefoot Moscato

First, let me explain how I wound up drinking this wine.
I live alone, and like to cook.  Every time I go to the store to find something to cook, I try to pick a wine, beer, or cocktail to go with what I'm making, just to challenge/test my own pairing abilities and knowledge.
The other night, I cooked Asian-inpsired chicken lettuce wraps.  Pairing wine and beer with Asian and Latin food is always fun, since these cultures are not big wine and beer drinkers, meaning that there aren't really "conventional"or "traditional"pairings to go with.  Also, the spice in a lot of Asian food means you can usually pick a relatively sweet wine, which you would not usually drink with a main course, to balance the spice and heat.  Vons didn't have a huge selection of pre-chilled sweeter white wines, so this is the one I chose.  Of course, I forgot to add the onions and the ginger to my wraps, which means the pairing wasn't quite as perfect as I would have liked.  Now for the fun part:

Appearance: Pretty light, almost clear, very little straw or golden coloring on this one.  Legs were more like smudges than clean streaks running down the glass.

Aroma: Honey and booze.

Body/mouth feel: Medium.  Not as syrupy/thick as the appearance, aroma, and sweetness would suggest.

Flavors: Honey on the beginning of the palate, peaches after that, with a fairly long, honey finish.

Overall impressions: For being a $4 bottle of wine, not too terrible.  Moscatos, especially inexpensive ones, run a risk of being almost too sweet, and syrupy sweet.  This one fit the profile.  Would be nice if it had just a touch of acidity, or a little more carbonation, to cut through the sweetness, but overall, a great value at $4.  Probably would have been better had the food I paired it with had  a little more heat/spice to it, or paired with a dessert, rather than a main.

Thanks for reading, and as always, feel free to leave comments, questions, or suggestions for future posts in the comments, by e-mail (livingbuzzed@gmail.com), or Tweet me (@livingbuzzed).

No comments:

Post a Comment