Thursday, May 2, 2013

Tasting Notes: Uinta Birthday Suit 20th Anniversary

Photo uploader is not working for me right now, so I will put it in later, sorry about that.

Appearance: Pours a deep, hazy, brown, which, when you hold it up to the light, has a ruby tint to itDecent sized, off white head, but dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma:  All over the place.  A little bit of chocolate, a little malty sweetness, and a lot of berry tartness.

Mouthfeel:  Light, bubbly, effervescent.

Flavors:  A little bit of tartness up front, more green apple style than anything else, and actually a little astringent/bitter, like the skin of an apple (not hop bitterness).  To me, after the initial tartness, there was a stale, earthy, and slightly metalic flavor.  Crisp finish, although the metallic flavor lingered for a little while.

Overall: Not for me.  The sourness is not quite prominent, and instead of balancing or complementing it, their choice of malts played down the tartness, and to me left a lot of flavors that come across almost as off flavors.  Stale beer, vegetal, metallic, and earthy.  I love sours, and I love some Uinta brews, but this is one I would almost certainly not buy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment